Wednesday, June 16, 2010

A Very Enjoyable Anime: Spirited Away

Release Date: July 20th, 2001
Runtime: 125 Min
Rating: PG for some scary moments
Appropriate for Ages: 4 and up

Wow, just wow. I loved this film. Spirited Away was recommended to me by one of my co-workers at one of the movie theaters I worked at. We were discussing some recent films we'd seen and she praised this up and down. She said it was "different" and that I just had to see it. So naturally I did and I fell in love.

Spirited Away follows a 10 year old girl named Chihiro who is in the process of moving with her family to the countryside. On the way to their new home her father decides to take a short cut down a mysterious path which leads to what looks like an abandoned theme park. Her parents eagerly walk though the gate and into what looks like an abandoned town where they find an unmanned booth filled with freshly cooked meats and many other indulgences. While her parents gorge themselves Chihiro wanders off and meets a boy named Haku who warns her to leave with her parents. When she returns to her parents she finds two large pigs eating in their place and the way back has been blocked by a huge river. At this point night has fallen and spirits begin to appear. Haku then finds Chihiro and leads her to a bathhouse where she will then have to work to help get her parents back and escape.

If you've never heard of Spirited Away before it probably sounds a bit odd, and believe me it was. I think thats what i liked most about it. I honestly had no idea what was going to happen next. Aside from those very young, I'd definitely recommend Spirited Away for the whole family.


If you've already seen Spirited Away and liked it I would also recommend: Howl's Moving Castle, Kiki's Delivery Service, Castle in the SkyNausicaa of the Valley of the Wind



No comments:

Post a Comment