Monday, June 21, 2010

Wholesome and Heartwarming: Secondhand Lions

Release Date: September 19th, 2003
Runtime: 111 min
Rating: PG for thematic material, language and action violence
Appropriate for Ages: 8 and up

I first watched Secondhand Lions when I was working at a movie theater. I hadn't seen the trailers and only started watching the movie because I had nothing else to do on a slow day. I'm glad I did give it a chance though because I found myself almost instantly drawn in. The story was quite engaging and the characters were unique and convincing.

13 year old Robert has had a difficult upbringing living with his prostitute mother. One day she drops him off to live with his eccentric great-uncles Hub and Garth who want nothing to do with him. The uncles are rumored to have some sort of fortune acquired from a time when they disappeared in their youth and Robert's mother hopes to get her hands on it. Although Hub and Garth wanted nothing to do with Robert at first, they begin to accept him and tell him wild stories of their youth. Robert discover's his great-uncles have lived great lives full of excitement, mystery, and adventure.

Secondhand Lions is a delightful watch. I think the whole family will get a lot out of this film, I just wouldn't recommend it for very young children as some of the content may be a little too complex for them.

Secondhand Lions on IMDB
Seconhand Lions Trailer from YouTube

If you've seen Secondhand Lions and liked it you may also enjoy: LassieTim Burton's Corpse BrideKiki's Delivery ServiceChicken Run


No comments:

Post a Comment